About Me

My photo
I am the father of two of the greatest kids ever, and am fortunate enough to have the most amazing woman as my wife! I am attempting to prove that "Once a Runner - Always a Runner"

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Shin Splints HURT!!!!! Seriously, is 24 pain-free days to much to ask for?

I have to admit, I am growing progressively less amused with the idea of ankle pain.    My calves seem to be doing GREAT!!! I did 3.5 miles yesterday with a "Faster-than-marathon" pace - and they felt AWESOME!!! In fact, my whole body felt great - EXCEPT for my shins on my left leg.  I have one place on the inside of my leg (Front/inside) that is quite painful.  There was a matching pain on the outside - but the inside one was definitely worse.  I cut my run short from what I had planned (it was going to be a mid-week longer run) due to this.  The last half mile or so was REALLY painful.

I got home and iced it, and spent the night massaging it (or as close as I could) while taking Advil and after a short period I was walking on it ok, with just a slight twinge. It gave me great hope!

This morning I was walking with a noticeable limp and significant pain. I have KT Tape'd it (though this doesn't seem as effective on shin splints as it is on a sore calf), and took Advil. I woke up too late to ice it sot hat will have to wait until tonight.  I am thinking tonight will be a bike ride or a swim for my work out, and possibly friday as well. 

I hate how negative my blog has become, but it has become a frustrating game of "what can I hurt now?"    I know that I am physically capable of doing the Marine Corps Marathon, and enjoying it - If my left leg will let me.  This is a goal I have had since I was 16, 20 years ago. I 'd really like to see a check on that bucket list!

Less than 24 more days.. Is that really to much to ask for?

No comments:

Post a Comment