About Me

My photo
I am the father of two of the greatest kids ever, and am fortunate enough to have the most amazing woman as my wife! I am attempting to prove that "Once a Runner - Always a Runner"

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Another post about pain... Though this one concerns CrossTraining!

If you read any running magazines, or decent blogs on running - the importance and benefits of cross training will come up.  How it can strengthen your core, help prevent injuries and even speed up recovery time.  But, the negative aspects of cross training aren't always mentioned. This is where my story comes in.

So, last week, I began to supplement my running with lifting.  What this means, is that I lifted once - and then never got around to it the rest of the week.  But this week is/was going to be different! so on Monday, I did my run - and followed it up with a Chest/Shoulders and Tricep work out.  I didn't kill myself over it but did ensure that all muscle groups got a decent work out.  Then last night, I headed out the door to do 4 miles or so.  About two miles into it, my chest (left side) started to cramp.  For the life of me, I couldn't' figure out why!  My form was good, my breathing was good, and my arms were swinging as they should.  Then it occurred to me.  I had spent the previous day, working my chest to exhaustion.

I continued to run (of course), but made it a point to really concentrate on form.  The cramping did indeed work its way out and the rest of the run wasn't too bad.  The general point here - is to realize that when you start a new exercise routine - it usually causes a new type of pain.  This is also true when you drastically change, or add too - your existing exercise plan.  I hadn't thought about the fact that tired muscles - chest/back/whatever - will affect running, just as my goal of strengthening them will affect running.

Sometimes, Common Sense - doesn't seem so common.

No comments:

Post a Comment