About Me

My photo
I am the father of two of the greatest kids ever, and am fortunate enough to have the most amazing woman as my wife! I am attempting to prove that "Once a Runner - Always a Runner"

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Never sore where you think

[caption id="attachment_2831" align="alignright" width="300"]Me resting after using the bowflex.... (ok...ok.. the image MIGHT be from http://www.bowflex-help-online.com/is-a-bowflex-home-gym-worth-the-money.html ) Me resting after using the bowflex.... (ok...ok.. the image MIGHT be from http://www.bowflex-help-online.com/is-a-bowflex-home-gym-worth-the-money.html )[/caption]

Last night I hit my bowflex for a nice workout. My thought is that by swapping days of running and lifting, I give my Plantar Fasciitis a chance to heal (in theory), while working on the upper body/core that I have spent years ignoring. It seems like a good way to develop a balance that I have been sorely lacking.

Now, the thing that surprises me with the bowflex, is that I am usually sore in different places than I expect. With out giving you all the details of last night's workout (imagine how exciting THAT would be... I pushed.. relaxed.. pushed.. relaxed..,) I was sure that today - I was going to be facing some seriously sore triceps. SURPRISE!!!! The Arms are fine, and your back is letting you know it was a great workout!

I'm certainly not complaining, as I know it was a good workout either way.

After using the wonderful machine, I decided a one mile cool down would be perfect! So, I ran one mile on the treadmill at the end, 8:34 at 2.5 incline. Now this of course defeats the purpose behind my swapping workouts, but like an addict needing a fix I had to run!

My treadmill was just sitting there taunting me the whole time. Honest. Saying really mean things.. It called me a wimp.. and a sissy... I couldn't take it. My self-control fell apart.. I admit it. I had to run. Hopefully it doesn't bite me in the tookus tonight!

[caption id="attachment_2829" align="alignleft" width="97"]Avoiding this - why I added a bowflex. Picture from theoatmeal.com  (I hope he doesnt sue! - Seriously, follow the link - his why I run comic is AWESOMESAUCE!) Avoiding this - why I added a bowflex.
Picture from theoatmeal.com (I hope he doesn't sue! - Seriously, follow the link - his why I run comic is AWESOMESAUCE!)[/caption]

I am excited to add the full-body workouts to my running. I hope it will keep me from looking like the runner example from The Oatmeal .

(As a side note, I recommend reading his comic on why he runs - its is great! The first page is at: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/running)

As always, please consider donating to my Help the Homeless fundraiser for Volunteers of America Chesapeake’s homeless services. We have some small gifts we will be raffling of to those that have donated, and it looks like everyone over a certain (and currently un-set) dollar amount will receive a Volunteers of America Chesapeake water bottle! More information to come on that!logo

The fundraiser is through the Fannie Mae – “Help the Homeless” walk program, which means they match every dollar you donate, with a dollar. So even a $5.00 donation immediately doubles in size!

If you want to read more about the good works of Volunteers of America Chesapeake, you can check out their blog!

 

2 comments:

  1. Ugh! I know the feeling! Being sore is so great, yet so terrible!

    ReplyDelete