About Me

My photo
I am the father of two of the greatest kids ever, and am fortunate enough to have the most amazing woman as my wife! I am attempting to prove that "Once a Runner - Always a Runner"

Friday, July 26, 2013

Holy Jeepers Cats! Its the day AFTER the day after that hurts!

[caption id="attachment_2844" align="alignright" width="216"]Me (you believe that right?) Doing a shoulder press! Me (you believe that right?) Doing a shoulder press![/caption]

LOL! Ok, so yesterday I had posted about how my soreness was less than expected, and in different places than I expected.

I forgot one key thing about strength training.. It's not the next day that hurts.. it's the day AFTER the next day... I woke up in the middle of the night, and the majority of my body hurt.  THAT was apparently a good workout!  I know it wasn't from yesterday's, as yesterday was a 4 mile run (with my bicycling shadow!), followed by a long period of stretching.  Hardly the things that sore shoulders/chest/arms/back are made of!   I feel much better about that workout, and I am looking forward to using my bowflex tonight!   

The run itself was nice, I kept it a bit slower, at around 9:06 average pace.  Between the slightly slower pace and the cooler temperatures, I was able to run the whole way with no issues at all.  The KT Tape is still helping, so I will continue to wear it!

7252013course


I went with a nice out and back course, they have one distinct advantage.  If my daughter gets tired, she can rest before we get to the turn-around, and I can just pick her up on the way back.  I wasn't disappointed in my pace at all, especially considering the time i have taken off for my foot.


7252013graph


The negative splits were unexpected!

All in all, it felt really good out there.  I started the run hitting mostly flat-foot, trying to ease my PF into it but by the end I wasn't worrying about it.  This morning I have some residual soreness.

 

And to close out this posting - please consider donating to my Help the Homeless fundraiser for Volunteers of America Chesapeake’s homeless services. We have some small gifts we will be raffling of to those that have donated, and it looks like everyone over a certain (and currently un-set) dollar amount will receive a Volunteers of America Chesapeake water bottle! More information to come on that!logo

The fundraiser is through the Fannie Mae – “Help the Homeless” walk program, which means they match every dollar you donate, with a dollar. So even a $5.00 donation immediately doubles in size!

If you want to read more about the good works of Volunteers of America Chesapeake, you can check out their blog!

 

 

2 comments:

  1. The day after the next day is absolutely painful.
    You look pretty good in that picture. LOL! That Bowflex has changed you around a lot!
    I love how you consider 9:06 a slower pace. LOL! I jumped of excitement when RunKeeper said I was doing a 10min mile. LOL!
    Keep it up! I had missed reading your posts, glad I'm catching up again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The 9 minute being slower is simply relative to other runs that were in the 8-8:59 range! Faster or slower miles are always a self-relative thing.

    I do know what you mean though, I read some bloggers that talk about their slow 5ks.... because they only ran a 19!

    I'm glad school/life has settled a bit for you. Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete