About Me

My photo
I am the father of two of the greatest kids ever, and am fortunate enough to have the most amazing woman as my wife! I am attempting to prove that "Once a Runner - Always a Runner"

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Inspiration

[caption id="attachment_2388" align="alignright" width="206"]Jeremy's 10 mile treadmill run.. Picture by Jeremy Buck Jeremy's 10 mile treadmill run.. Picture by Jeremy Buck[/caption]

Every runner, runs for a reason. It may be health and fitness, it may be that it's a wonderful stress release, or countless other reasons that are as individual as a snowflake. Yet, regardless of WHY, we will find different sources of inspiration. Obviously this isn't true only of runners, but of everyone for various aspects of life.

I have many sources of inspiration for running, and they inspire me at different times and to do different things. My kids continue to inspire me to keep running over-all. I want to be a good example to them, and show them that having good fitness is important. But sometimes it is one person that I know that gives me the inspiration just when I need it. Today is a great example.

A friend (and former co-worker) of mine in NY started running a year or two ago, and now runs 30-40 mile weeks. In fact, he even runs twice a day quite frequently. Many of these long runs are done on a treadmill.  Today I was hitting my treadmill, but had to do it without head-phones.  (In the process of a road trip, I lost mine.)  Now 4 miles on a treadmill isn't the world's worst run - but by 2.5 miles, I am ready to scream.  I thought of Jeremy's run  (See the picture above) and thought that if he could do 10 miles (even with music) then I could definitely finish out 4 miles.  And I'm pleased to say I did.  Thank you Jeremy! 

Beyond just helping me through the 1.5 miles on the treadmill, Jeremy is one of the people who continue to inspire me.  He has lost a lot of weight, got in shape and could now run me into the ground.

heartOn this Valentine's Day, I would also be remiss in not mentioning my lovely wife.  She has been my inspiration for so much, that I couldn't begin to list all of the ways, but I will mention one.  In 2006, my wife and I came very close to living in separate houses, sharing child-time and returning to having different last-names.  Sparing the details, all I can say is that she really inspired me to look at myself.  I realized how far down I had fallen, that I was in a miserable depression, that I had become fat/lazy/out of shape.  When she was "Done" and had nothing left to give, she still gave me the opportunity to change and was trusting enough to give me the chance to show it was real change, lasting change, and as important that it was as important to me as it was to her.

My wife has inspired me to be a better man, and I can never thank her enough for that.

What has inspired you?

No comments:

Post a Comment