About Me

My photo
I am the father of two of the greatest kids ever, and am fortunate enough to have the most amazing woman as my wife! I am attempting to prove that "Once a Runner - Always a Runner"

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Running in the cold – you may not be as fast as you feel you are.

This is a repost from my WordPress blog.

Last night I got out of work earlier than usual. That worked out quite nicely as I got to run in the light! I went with one less layer this time, no under-armour on the top. I regretted that for the first mile or so. I never hit the point that I was "warm," but I was not "cold." I think I may stop messing with WHAT to wear, I seem to have it figured out now.

I felt good out there last night, I was trying to concentrate on lifting my legs and letting them drop the whole way. I tried to lift them as soon as they hit the ground - as the POSE book said, and I felt like I was FLYING! I also quickly understood why the book says you need to focus on building your core muscles. I could feel it BIG TIME. When I got back - I was a little disappointed at my time. I felt like I was doing at MOST an 8 minute mile. This was slower than I ran at the beginning of November. Regardless of that, it was a good run - and my calves/legs are feeling it this morning. A little bit of soreness always lets you know it was a good workout!


I have been able to find charts on how heat/humidity affects your speed while running, but thus far - No charts for cold. I was hoping I could blame it on that.

My son asked me if he could come run three miles with me this week. I don't know that he will be able to - as he is preparing for the Parlor City Boys' Chorus concert on friday, but I figure I will take him out with me on saturday. (to hear them, click the YouTube video at the end in my "Holiday Carol a-day" theme!) He has been really digging our working out to "EA Active 2" together, and wants to do more. How awesome is that?

I am also starting to get my race schedule for next year together. It isn't written in stone yet, but it is starting to shape up. Feel free to click the link and check it out. You are even welcome to friend me on Daily Mile! I could always use some Motivation!

Today's Holiday Carol is "Ding Dong Merrily on High" as Performed by the Parlor City Boy's Chorus at the Phelp's Mansion on 12/11/11.

No comments:

Post a Comment